Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in the center of the oven. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans and line the bottoms of the pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
For the cake:
- Sift together gf flour, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a bowl of the electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrap down the sides of the bowl periodically. Add the vanilla extract and combine.
- Whisk the buttermilk and red food coloring together. With the mixer on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture beginning and ending with the flour.
- In a small cup combine the food coloring and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then fold into cake batter.
- Immediately divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans and smooth the tops. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 min. (or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean). Cool cakes on a wire rack for 10 min. After 10 min take the cakes out of the cake pans and cool completely.
- Wrap cooled cakes with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator at least an hour.
Creamy Cream Cheese Icing:
- Beat the softened cream cheese and mascarpone cheese with an electrical mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners sugar on low and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl with a clean whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into the cheese mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
Assembling the cake:
Take a serrated knife and cut each cake horizontally in 1/2 to make 4 thinner circles. Place one of the cake layers on a cake plate and ice with frosting. Place another cake layer and frost,continuing until all of the cake circles are frosted. Frost the top and sides of the cake. Enjoy!